Ok, so here we go.
TIPSY TUESDAY numero uno! Your excited, aren't you.
What you are about to hear is life changing... Remember that Barney song (please tell me you used to watch Demi Lovato on Barney back in the day, because that was life changing in and of itself) "Oh mister Sun, Sun, Mister Golden Sun, Please shine down on me."? Well that's my tip.
TIP #1 LET IN THE SUNSHINE
After Big T was born, I was a mess. I literally had not slept in 5 days straight (because of the anxiety), and Thomas was a great newborn sleeper! I was losing it. (My stomach is in a knot just typing this.) Luckily my sweet sister, Sunee, came to my rescue (I just realized how awesome it is that my sister named "Sunee" is the one who taught me the importance of "sunshine" in dark moments!) She arrived in the morning and I was doing ok, but as the sun started to set that night, I started to panic. I was literally afraid of the night. As things started to get dark, I didn't think I could do it. I was scared to try to sleep, because I knew I would fail. This is when Sunee taught me a great tip. She got up and closed all of the blinds so I couln't see outside and then she turned on every light in the house. Since I couldn't see the darkness outside, it relieved some of the fear I was experiencing. That night went a little better (but honestly it was still rough). In the morning, Sunee opened all of the blinds letting in every bit of sunlight possible and then that night, as the sun started to set, she again closed the blinds and turned on all the lights.
I have realized a couple of things.
| Sweet baby Nathan a few days old...oh the trouble we go through for these little stinkers! They are Totally worth it though, aren't they? |
1. The sun is truly a blessing. In some of the hardest times, just a walk outside to feel the sunshine was uplifting. It helped me stay connected with the world and as the sun would shine through the window on the sweet baby in my arms I would feel blessed and happy.
2. Nighttime as a mom, especially a new mom, is dang hard. I have talked to a lot of moms with newborns who fear the night. I have had all my babies in the winter time when it gets dark really early. Instead of freaking yourself out from 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. when you go to bed, just close the blinds and turn on the lights and let the light shine in!
3. There is real truth in the symbolism of light and dark and evil and good. Christ is the LIGHT of the world. He loves us all and I am sure he is grateful that even though we suffer with PPD/PPA/PPOCD, we are willing to bring his children into this world. The Savior didn't take away my PPA, but he did comfort me through some of those hard nights.
So get your Sunshine in today and if you feel the Darkness creeping in on you (literally or figuratively), just think of chubby little Demi Lovato singing "Mr. Sun, Sun, Mr. Golden Sun, Please Shine Down on me." (Don't forget to imagine the Jazz Hands.)
-Over and Out
Have any funny night time baby moments? DO Share!
What is the best way you bring light into your home?


I agree! With aurora we were living in a basement apartment so I never could open the blinds because everyone walking by could see me nursing. It was horrible! The lighting wasn't good either. So we put up our Christmas lights all around and I'd always have them on! It really helped me feel cheerful. Another funny story, my first night all alone i didn't know what I was supposed to do. I sat there most of the night holding my sleeping baby. I was too nervous to lay her down and go to sleep. Luckily I quickly learned that wasn't going to work.
ReplyDeleteLove the Christmas light idea! I am going to remember that one next time.
DeleteLove this blog so much!! I was the same way, I had so much trouble sleeping I developed severe nighttime anxiety. My tip to help take the pressure off of falling asleep (especially when you know you're exhausted and just can't settle down) was to read a certain way. I got a headlamp so I could read while lying in bed comfortably. Then I would read one page at a time and pause at the end of each page, closing my eyes and taking deep, slow breaths for a while. I'd leave my book open and my headlight on so I didn't feel any pressure to fall asleep. Then I'd open my eyes and keep reading another page. But eventually I would slip into that first layer of sleep which was usually enough to calm my anxiety so I could fall asleep. I read different kind of books. Sometimes I would read a book about anxiety and it was really good at calming me down. Sometimes I'd just read a regular book and sometimes I'd do a puzzle type book to engage/distract me.
ReplyDeleteAs for funny nighttime stories, two words: projectile pooping. For the first few weeks kid #2 was home from the hospital, he would only poop when his diaper was completely off. And boy could he poop! :)
Love the head lamp idea. I had never thought of that before. I have tried reading but getting up to turn off the light always woke me back up. Great idea.
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDelete