Meet Monica! We went to high school together and she has always been a beauty and a fantastic person to be around. She has two beautiful children and has had her share of some rough depression. She is a champ and has gone down the road of natural medicine and traditional medicine and so I asked her to write a post about her experiences with both. I am so grateful she shared her knowledge and has been willing to add her voice to our little club (we have a club, right?) Her words have touched me and i love how she talks about separating ourselves from our struggles...a big thing on my "Must Do" list as well. Without further ado...here's Monica!
I
have to admit I feel a little silly being asked as a “guest writer”
like I am some sort of expert on the
issue. Well, let me assure you I’m not! But, I have had a fair share
of fun on what I like to call the hormone rollercoaster so I am happy to
share my experiences with you. And hopefully if nothing else, you will
know that you are NOT alone. There is strength in numbers and knowing
you don’t have to suffer on your own is empowering.
I
was 7 or 8 months pregnant with my second child when it finally hit me
that I was depressed with a capital D and had been for the last 3
years. The thing that many people may not understand about depression
is that it
is not always environmental. Meaning, my situation and my life
couldn’t have been going any better. My marriage was great, I had just
graduated college, and I was able to stay home with my children which is
something I had always wanted to do. My depression (and anxiety) was
internal; it was not situational, (which is useful to know when trying
to decide on an approach to getting better). I didn’t really know what
to do about it at that point but I made a promise to myself that after I
had the baby I needed to do something. At my 6 week postpartum
appointment I went prepared to tell my doctor that I was depressed and
needed help. She prescribed me with meds and guess what! They
worked!! I felt great! All of those negative, self degrading,
worthless thoughts were removed from me. It was wonderful. I took them
for about a week but then noticed that my baby was acting different
than
usual. He was very lethargic but fussy and not sleeping normally. I
knew it was the medication getting to him from my milk. My heart sank.
I had finally found my magic potion to help me get over this hump and I
didn’t feel like I could use it at the risk of it affecting my baby. I
felt defeated.
That’s
when I was introduced to this wonderful thing called natural medicine.
I know! Granola, non-shaving, peace on earth, voodoo, apothecary type
medication. Only crazies believe in that, right? Not even close. With
the encouragement
of my sister who already had wonderful experiences with a woman who is
an energy kinesiologist, I made an appointment with her. There is no
medication involved. Just you, your hormones, and her gift to heal.
It
was a wonderful experience. Difficult to describe, kind of like trying
to explain what salt tastes like:) She balances the energy in your
body. Every session is different and she uses many different methods
depending on what your body needs at that time. Oils, pressure points,
message, herbs, tones, etc. She does talk to you but it is not a
therapy session. I honestly don't know how it works, but I know it
does. Ask my husband:) He says, "All I know is when you came back, you
were better." If you go into it with an
open mind it can be a very spiritual experience.
I learned a lot about myself and my body and that I am stronger than I
think I am. I left feeling like I could conquer anything!
When
I got home and back to my regular schedule I felt exactly the same as I
always had. *Sigh* So I went on with my life and about 2 weeks later I
was reflecting a little on how I’d been doing the last few weeks and
realized, I had been doing GREAT! It was a slower process than I had
expected but my body was reacting positively and I felt better. Not
super woman, just better. I have been several times since and am so
grateful to have been led to her.
My life has significantly improved since I have realized that I don’t
have to just endure and suffer, but there are things I can do to help me
get better.
I
think it is also important to mention that I have consulted with my
doctor and have found a medication that is also helping me cope through
this difficult stage in my life. The miracle of medication is nothing
to sneer at (even though I did for a LONG time until I finally said
uncle). I had a lot of fears about starting a medication, like “Will I
have to be on it forever?” “Am I going to be
exactly the same as I am now when I get off of it.” “Will I gain
900lbs?” “Will I be able to feel at all or does it just numb all
emotions?” It has been a long road for me to start feeling ok about who
I am since I’ve become a mother. My road is not over yet but I do know
that I won’t have to be on medication forever. It is the right thing
for me to do at this time. Find out what works for you. (I feel like
one of those prescription drug commercials, “Find out if
Blankitycamdenoft is right for you.”) Anyway, life is good. Smile a
little. It helps:)
Both
of these things have helped me separate myself from my depression. I
am a happy person. The over anxious, self decrementing person is not.
I can be happy and enjoy my children and not yell or have my own temper
tantrums. The depressed, high tension person cannot. If you would
like to get in contact with a foot zoner or kinesiologist (I’ve actually
experienced both), PLEASE message me and I would be happy to refer
you!! (mobud14@yahoo.com)

Thanks for letting me share Judi!

This was an amazing post! Monica, I had no idea and it was like you were speaking to me. Thank you for your bravery in speaking out about such a hush-hush subject.
ReplyDeleteI found this post from someone on Facebook and I really enjoyed it! I actually work for a natropathic doctor and she is the smartest person I know. I used to kind of turn up my nose at people who swore by natural medicine, but honestly, after working for her, I've totally changed over to the dark side. Every single patient comes out from their appointment and they are ecstatic that someone can finally help them. It's amazing. I am so glad you've consulted with your kinesiologist-- how fascinating! Excellent post. :)
ReplyDelete