Did you hear the talk in General Conference for the Lds Church by Elder Jeffery R. Holland on mental illnesses, especially depression? Yeah, we're so cool that he gave a talk just to us. Feel special? Ha. I did :)
Here are some of my favorite things he said that spoke straight to me...Elder Holland and I should be on a first name basis, that's how personal his talk was.
"However bewildering this all may be, these afflictions are some of the realities of mortal life, and there should be no more shame in acknowledging them than in acknowledging a battle with high blood pressure or the sudden appearance of a malignant tumor."
Seriously...Why does an illness in of the brain, one of our MOST IMPORTANT ORGANS, get laughed at and shamed into non-existence??!??!? Don't be ashamed anymore.
"At one point in our married life when financial fears collided with staggering fatigue, I took a psychic blow that was as unanticipated as it was real. With the grace of God and the love of my family, I kept functioning and kept working, but even after all these years I continue to feel a deep sympathy for others more chronically or more deeply afflicted with such gloom than I was."
Ok, that's enough for me. If the GIANT OF A MAN in Elder Holland had a point in his life where HE suffered with Depression (and he didn't even give birth and have his hormones and life flipped upside down!!!) then, I think we will be ok. We just need to follow his advice, which is great advice.
"Never, ever doubt, and never harden your heart." and Might I add--don't become angry. I did at one point and it wasn't fun or good.
"Hope is never lost. If those miracles do not come soon or fully or seemingly at all, remember the Savior’s own anguished example: if the bitter cup does not pass, drink it and be strong, trusting in happier days ahead."
Tru Dat!
"If things continue to be debilitating, seek the advice of reputable people with certified training, professional skills, and good values. Be honest with them about your history and your struggles. Prayerfully and responsibly consider the counsel they give and the solutions they prescribe. If you had appendicitis, God would expect you to seek a priesthood blessing and get the best medical care available. So too with emotional disorders. Our Father in Heaven expects us to use all of the marvelous gifts He has provided in this glorious dispensation."
Agreed...See item #1 on HERE
Like I keep telling people, there is strength in numbers and I am adding Elder Holland to that "numbers." And if Jeffrey Holland is in the group, then I am going to be proud to be in that group! If only someday I can be as strong as him, then the PPA was worth it, right?
-Over and Out

Yes! I was in tears the whole talk. After Dash (#2) I was so tired and depressed and I got so angry I could barely function. It was so nice to hear an apostle pretty much say, if you are that exhausted you need to do what ever you have to do to get rest and get better. You'll never get better with out rest and help. Love it!
ReplyDelete