Monday, December 9, 2013

Beating yourself up...and why I lose every time

So my post on Friday had me thinking a lot about "Self-Love ." This has always been a hard one for me. As a religious person, I try really hard to be humble and "God-fearing."  But sometimes I take it so far that I actually beat myself up.  And I have found that when you beat yourself up, you will lose every time.

The other day in one of my beat up sessions in my head, I told Mike how worthless I was.  He made me stand in front of the mirror and tell him what I saw.  It was ugly and involved words like "Chubby, wrinkly, old, mean..."

He gave me a pep-talk worthy of Biggest Loser.  It was awesome.  He loves me :)

 I think as moms in general, we are really hard on ourselves, but when you add in crazy postpartum hormone swings, I think it is really easy to give yourself the smack down daily.

And the truth is, I do make mistakes.  Sometimes I yell at my kids.  Sometimes I brush off Mike's affections.  Sometimes I say something mean I shouldn't have.  These are all things I need to work on.

BUT, dwelling so much on these things to the point that I feel like a worthless piece a crap?  That might be taking it too far.

I hear a lot of people say that you need to put yourself first in order to do everything else, but I just can't believe that.  Let's face it.  If I put myself first, I would not be sitting here in a house that needs scrubbing, with kids that are crying, with a gut that is squishy from carrying 9 lb babies.  I would be at the spa, with a good book. Ha!  When you choose to be a wife and mom, you choose to put other people before yourself.  And that is the way it should be.  I would be a terrible mom if I put myself first.

The thing I tend to do, is to not even put myself on the list!  I'm pretty nice to everybody else, but NEVER myself.  I need to put myself back on the list.  I am going to retake my rightful spot at number 5 on my list.  I am going to take care of my kids/husband/responsibilities AND take care of myself by being nicer to myself. 

Self love baby.







Are you good at Self-Love?  How do you practice self love without feeling like you are prideful?

I think it is going to take some practice.  I forgot how to be nice to myself.

Here it goes...

-I'm a good mom (cringe)
-I'm a nice person (really?)
-I'm straight up awesome... (ugghhh!)


I'm going to just keep saying...till I believe it :) It might be awhile.

How's your self-love?

You got any tips for me?  Do share!



5 comments:

  1. I'm loving your blog, Judi! I'm such a mess right now and not brave enough to tell anyone besides my doctor (and Brian), so I really appreciate how brave you are. This post was very appropriate today-- I just woke up feeling so defeated and guilty. That would be a great post idea: how do you deal with the mom guilt that comes because of how your PPD and PPA affects you? Like, I feel like I would be such a better mom if I wasn't so depressed and anxious all of the time. So, often I feel like I'm failing as a mom because I'm not able to do as much as I would if I were not struggling with PPD and PPA. You know? Anyway, I definitely need to be kinder to myself and work on self love. Thanks again for this blog-- I've loved every post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucy! Thanks for commenting. Go back and look at YOUR blog and you will see how fantastic of a job you are doing for your girls. They are experiencing so much and are so cute doing it. Hang in there and keep living a day at a time :)

      Delete
  2. I'm so glad you wrote this because I've always known how amazing you are so it's mind-blowing to me to think you could ever think otherwise and yet I totally understand because I do it, too! I'm such a planner and a scheduler so the best way for me to get time for myself is to literally schedule some "me" time every week. Like right now, for example, I'm cruising blogs while I wait for my yoga class. :) Me time! It has to be something that's at the same time every week and in the official schedule, otherwise it doesn't happen. It definitely makes me a better mom because when I'm beat down and exhausted, nobody's happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fun! I wish I was going to yoga class with you! I have been playing on a volleyball team and loving it...but my knees are not! When did I get so old? ha ha

      Delete
  3. I'm so jealous! I wish I was playing on a competitive team. We play as a ward on Thursdays but the level of play is so low, let's just say I'm probably the best player. That's when you know it's bad. ;)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pin it

Pin It