Having Another Baby After Postpartum Struggles
About me: My name is Lisa. I’ve been married for six years and have two wonderful boys, ages 2 years and (almost) 2 months. Judi (the author of this blog) and I were roommates in college. I admire all the courage and hard work that she has put into creating this blog because it’s a topic I also feel passionate about.
![]() |
| Left: Our (now outdated) family picture. Right: A couple hours after having our newest addition. These three guys are the greatest joys in my life. |
About my experience:
I had horrible postpartum anxiety (PPA) when I had my first baby. My anxiety became
so severe mostly because I struggled with it for months without knowing what it
was or where to go for help. It was a living nightmare for a while—the worst,
hardest time of my life. Worrying about your baby is normal. Not being able to
eat or sleep? Not normal. Luckily, with a lot of help and time to heal, I made
a full recovery. Back when it was happening, I would have given anything to
make it go away, but now I am grateful it happened. I learned so much and I am
a stronger, happier person because of it.
The decision to have
another baby after PPA: For people who are terrified of heights or falling,
it’s easy enough to stay away from the edges of cliffs. It seemed so unfair
that my biggest anxiety-inducer was
also one of the things I wanted most out of life: having children. Even though I had a really strong
recovery (especially considering how bad it was), the thought of having another
baby was still terrifying for a long time. Occasionally I’d have a hard time
falling asleep or I’d feel a rush of anxiety, causing a flashback to what it
was like in the thick of PPA, reminding me how horrible it was and how I never
wanted to go through that again.
What helped me make
the decision: Besides prayer and a supportive husband, the
thing that helped me the most was knowing
it’s what I really wanted. Back when I first realized I had postpartum
anxiety, I turned to someone dear to me who had also struggled with anxiety. He
recommended The Mindfulness and Acceptance Workbook for Anxiety: A Guide to Breaking Free from Anxiety, Phobias, and Worry Using Acceptance and Commitment Therapy
It wasn’t a magical quick
fix or anything. It took months before
the stuff I read began to sink in and really help me. But what I learned from
it was that happiness wouldn’t come from “controlling” my anxiety, but from
doing the things that matter most to me (like having kids). That doesn’t mean I
could (or should) have had another baby right then and there in the thick of debilitating
anxiety struggles. I needed to wait until I felt healthy again and ready to
take on the next challenge. But it did mean I went into it knowing I might struggle
with postpartum anxiety again, hoping it wouldn’t be nearly as bad, but
accepting that having a baby was more important to me than never feeling
anxious again.
How I’ve Been This
Time Around: SO. MUCH. BETTER. Night and day difference. That’s not to say
I never have any anxiety. I’ve just learned not to let the anxiety itself freak
me out (the Mindfulness & Acceptance Workbook helped a lot with that).
Also, my experience with postpartum struggles taught me a lot about myself. I discovered
that, for me, the following three things are not optional: (1) Sleep (2) Exercise
and (3) Friends. Funny how those are the three things you often have to do
without when you have a baby. But my husband has learned how much I need those and
together we made it happen. For example, from the day I got home from the
hospital, he made sure I had time to go for a good, long walk everyday. It was
my time to listen to music, relax, and rejuvenate. It was amazing how much it
improved my mood.
My Advice:
(1) Make sure your husband is on board – When I was suffering the most, my husband was suffering
right along with me. Luckily for me, my husband was actually more confident
than I was about things being better the second time around.
(2) Get to know yourself – Figure out the things that make you feel happy and healthy
and then figure out how to make time for them, even amid the difficulty of
caring for a newborn baby. For me it was sleep, exercise, and friends. Maybe
you really like listening to music, writing, or doing art. Whatever it is, work
hard to make sure it happens.
(3) Write up a postpartum plan:
a.
Include things you plan on doing the second time
around to increase your chances of having a better recovery (things like
exercising, who is coming to help take care of your kids so you can take care
of yourself, etc.). Be as specific as possible.
b.
Have an Emergency plan and know when to put it
in place (for me, I knew we’d have to start taking more serious measures if I
ever stopped being able to eat or sleep).
c.
Review the plan with your husband, friends or
family members who are a part of the plan, and any doctors or health care
professionals involved.
Deciding to have another baby after surviving postpartum
anxiety was one of the hardest, most gut-wrenching decisions I’ve ever had to
make. But I’m so glad and grateful I did. I’ve been able to experience so many
of the joys of having a newborn that I missed the first time around. It hasn’t been all easy, but it has confirmed
my belief that women can come out of postpartum struggles much stronger than they
were before. :)


There's a decent amount of biological evidence for an evolved sense of heightened anxiety after birth in a lot of mothers, the idea being to protect your newborn better from perceived danger. PPA is different from this, obviously, as the former tends to dissipate rather than intensify after the first month. Anyway, my point of writing this is that preparing to deal with this spectrum of anxiety is paramount to new motherhood (I think) and, like you said, serves to make you a better person all around. Mad props to you for dealing with this in a healthy, reasonable way, and sharing your story. xx
ReplyDeleteThanks Naomi, you are right, most mothers experience that feeling of "is my baby ok?" "I better check to see if they are still breathing" "Am I doing this right." ect. When that feeling become debilitating, that is when it is not normal. Thanks for sharing. :)
DeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteI'd be curious to know exactly what your emergency plan entails. Great post Lisa! I think your blog is awesome Judi! keep up the good work!
ReplyDeleteThanks Jamie! I agree...Great post Lisa!
DeleteThanks Lisa for this awesome post and thanks Judi for this blog! I didn't realize you two knew each other, so that is really cool. It's always nice to know that others experience PPA or PPD. Thanks again!
ReplyDeleteAnother important thing to realize is that every postpartum experience is different. I had no problems postpartum with baby #1. Baby #2 PPD reared it's ugly head. Baby #3 nothing but baby #4 was the pit of despair. I actually wanted another baby because I just didn't want baby #4 to be my last newborn experience. I also have crazy high risk pregnancies that got more dramatic with each baby. I tried to convince hubby that I only had PPD with even numbered babies, so we were good to have another. He was not convinced. My recovery with #4 took so long and I was not the parent my other children needed, so after much prayer we decided that it was OK to be done and I needed to focus on the babies I had managed to get here safely.
ReplyDelete