Wednesday, June 25, 2014

Tipsy Tuesday: Sleeping Tips (or LAck of Sleeping Tips)

When I get to heaven, one of the first questions I am going to ask is, "Why don't babies come sleeping through the night?"  (If your newborn sleeps through the night...please don't tell me! Because I will secretly curse you and think bad things about you and I don't want to think bad things about you!!!  So really, don't tell me. Ha :)

As if 9 months of pregnancy (have you done the math, it is really more like 10 months.  I don't know why we keep letting all these men tell us we are pregnant for 9 months.  They obviously don't know how PAINFUL that last month is!) and pushing a baby out of an impossible place isn't enough, you are then handed a little squishy bundle and told to feed it every two hours or they will scream as if they have never had nourishment...like, ever.  Oh, don't forget to burp that little sucker.  He will act so sound asleep as you pat his little bum for hours, but if you even think of laying him down thinking, "I guess he doesn't have a burp this time" then watch out...grunt baby awake!  It is amazing that all postpartum women don't start to lose it!  It's this lovely little sleeping cycle (or lack of sleeping cycle) that always sends me down the spiral to PPA.

So, after 3 lovely little squishy babies that have needed to eat EVERY 2 hours (are girl babies as hungry as boy babies, because-watch out! I hear all this talk of feeding your babies every 3-4 hours and my mouth drops open...literally.  I was lucky to have them make it the 2 hours!) I have learned a few "tricks" on how to make my limited sleep more effective.

Effective Lack of Sleep tip #1: A heating pad.  After having a baby, you are sore and usually have after birth pains.  I started sleeping with a heating pad on my stomach to ease the cramps, but soon realized it was easing my anxiety and allowing my body to stay relaxed and to fall asleep faster.  I know Lisa loves to use a heated mattress pad.  Either way, heat helps your body relax and fall asleep faster.

Effective Lack of Sleep tip #2: White noise:  I love me a good fan! White noise not only blocks out outside noise, but the constant sound allows your brain to be attracted to the sound instead of all the MILLIONS of thoughts running through your head.

Effective Lack of Sleep tip #3: A small snack: I know snacking in the night is like a big "No No" when it comes to dieting and such, but have you ever been awake at 3 in the morning?  You get hungry.  I find if my stomach is growling and hungry, I can't fall asleep as good.  If I eat a piece of fruit and a small glass of milk with the babies middle of night feeding, I can get to sleep faster.

Effective Lack of Sleep tip #4: Lavender essential oil:  I mostly use this when I am pregnant to relax my antsy legs, but I find it is a great relaxer.  I like to rub some on the bottom of my feet and a little on the arms.

Effective Lack of Sleep tip #5: Limit your naps.  I know most people say "sleep when the baby sleeps" and I think that is partially true, but it is difficult to sleep at 10 am when you NEVER sleep at 10 am in  your normal life, ya know?  Sometimes trying to take naps makes me more anxious.  If napping is working for you, awesome.  If you lay awake at odd nap times, eliminate the naps and keep your sleeping patterns close to what they were before baby.

I know what you are thinking, "Man, she's got some sleeping issues!" Ha. Your right, with a newborn, I have sleeping issues, but I have learned to make those short windows of sleeping between feedings more effective and have really improved...well everything.  Sleep = Good.

I tell you what, when that little baby looks up at you in the middle of the night with a little toothless smile and "goo's" for the first time...a little piece of heaven right there, now if only Heaven would make them sleep through the night!

- Over and Out

5 comments:

  1. I really appreciate your tip about napping. So many people will tell me to take more naps or 'sleep when baby sleeps'. I am with you, that I tend to get even more anxious about taking naps, because I'm just not a nap person in the first place. Thanks for some great advice. I want to try the heating pad next baby. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My babies took forever to start sleeping through the night! My youngest is now 9 and I am finally getting some sleep! :) Great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I'm still obsessed with my mattress pad heater (the dual control is a must for husbands who like to keep their sheets freezing cold). It was so nice to have this time around since it's a bit chillier this time of year. Sometimes I'd turn it on before I got up to feed my baby so my bed was already pre-warmed by the time I got back (so I could fall back asleep almost instantly). It was FANTASTIC. Best $100 I ever spent. Here's a link to the one I bought: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZSHDEK/ref=as_li_tf_il?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B003ZSHDEK&linkCode=as2&tag=listhelazblo-20

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great tips! It's not easy being a mama... especially to a newborn. I'm going to remember this post when my next little one comes.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I slept SO badly with Baby #1. He was up to eat every two hours in the night and I had horrible trouble with plugged ducts when I was trying to breastfeed. So I'd feed him for an hour and then I'd be up for the next hour unable to sleep from the pain and then he'd be awake again. Or sometimes he'd be asleep and the pain would wake me up. When I had #2 she was a bit better sleeper and I didn't really try to breastfeed again. But my husband's snoring would keep me up. It doesn't bother me when I'm asleep anyway but when I have to get up every couple hours I would have anxiety about whether I could fall asleep again in the tiny space between feedings and then I'd focus on the snoring and not be able to sleep. So finally I had a chat with him about it and he moved into another room for a couple months. It made such a huge difference in me being able to fall asleep and did not ruin our marriage.

    -Beth

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Pin it

Pin It