:)
Here is where I am at. Nathan boy is 18 months old. I am currently feeling ZERO postpartum effects (no anxiety, no true depression, no OCD) and it is awesome. BUT, I have had 3 babies and I am fast approaching 30 and guess what...PMS is in full swing. I was one of those lucky people who didn't have PMS pre-baby. My hormones were always pretty steady, but NO GOOD THING CAN LAST!!!
![]() | |
| They love me even when I am onerey |
"I have such bad PMS. Holy crap. I feel like Gollum in Lord of the Rings when he is crouched down biting into a raw fish. I feel like I am lurking around ready to bite off anybody's head that makes too annoying of a sound! I just keep telling myself, RELAX it is just PMS, you actually don't hate everything in the entire world. Wow. This is a new PMS level for me"
My Dad (who is serving an LDS mission) wrote me an email the next day and said, "When you are finished with your Lord of the Rings episode, would you mind depositing a check for me in the bank?"
HA! Yep Dad, with seven daughters, you know the Gollum look all too well!
Even Mike informed me I should avoid as many people as I could for a few days. It was bad.
So what the heck does that have to do with anything on this PPS blog?
1. PMS always sends me into flashbacks of Postpartum Struggles. I have to remind myself I am not relapsing, I am just about to cycle.
2. I always want to run back to my Anti-depressant during PMS. I start to think I can't handle anything and I am a loser and ornery as heck! I really believe that some people (and maybe even myself if it keeps being as bad as it was last month) can really benefit from being on a anti-depressant for their PMS. PMS is a REAL syndrome and Anti-depressants are a good option. In fact, I know some people who only take their anti-depressants the week before they cycle to help ease their PMS and their PMS headaches. I hate the idea of taking meds 24/7 when I really only need them for 5 days of the month and so I am looking into that option.
3. The same thoughts I get with PPS happen during PMS and I use the same tricks to dispel them. I use my neutral thoughts to help with my "I am the worst person in the entire world" thoughts, I use lots of Self Love, I also practice Millie's Anger technique because heaven help us when Gollum is released in the Coburn Household. And I for sure use the Seperating myself from the syndrome technique "This is NOT me, this is PMS, You don't hate everybody."
And while my PMS has escalated with each baby (hope I don't have 10 kids, I really will be a beast!), my patience, my tolerance, and my endurance has also increased. I just have to believe that being nice and loving and nurturing while you feel beastly inside is helping me to master myself. And life is about mastering yourself, ya know?
If you would like me to inform you when the PMS week is so that you can avoid me, I would be happy to :)
-Over and Out
Pass along your PMS tips
Does PMS sent you into flashbacks?
Has it gotten worse after each baby? How do you cope?


Haha, remember how I used to subscribe Bryan to pms buddy so he could have fair warning? :) it's been so long since I've had pms, I'm not excited to be re-introduced.
ReplyDelete